The purpose of this project is to build enhancements to an interactive Virtual Learning Center and front-facing website to help NGO users based in Africa, Asia, and the Americas access and exchange knowledge and information about the monitoring and evaluation of water, sanitation, and hygiene projects in developing country settings. Our current target audience is a consortium of 12 global nonprofit partners ranging in size from small advocacy groups to global NGOs. In addition, we seek to attract additional partners to the project in the future.
The Virtual Learning Center is built on a Wordpress/Sakai platform hosted at UNC. The Web Designer (Designer) will be responsible for creating and maintaining a professional-looking yet easy to use front end that will serve as the landing page for the Virtual Learning Center and will be the point of access to public content (in Wordpress) and members-only training content (in Sakai). A placeholder site has already been created in Wordpress using standard templates, and this must be updated to provide a professional look and feel, in accordance with the WaSH MEL style guide. The successful applicant will likely be familiar with Wordpress application integration. This project will require a rapid, startup phase, as well as longer development and ongoing support phases.
- Proficient in Wordpress and related skills (HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.)
- Experience working with Sakai
- Minimum of 2 years’ web design and development experience
- Front-end and back-end development and integration experience
- Able to meet face-to-face at UNC on a regular basis during startup period
- Strong portfolio and references
- Able to meet deadlines and work with a diverse team of program staff
- Able to provide a competitive quotation and complete a professional product within budget
- Experience with UNC Wordpress deployment preferred
- Basic graphic design proficiency preferred
Scope of work
Modify placeholder Wordpress landing page (created using 2011 template) to create professional Wordpress landing page
- Adhere to provided site map, wireframes, and style guide, suggesting modifications as appropriate
- Modify placeholder Wordpress discussion forum to create professional-looking discussion forum that is stylistically consistent with updated landing page
- Modify placeholder Wordpress Resource center to create professional-looking searchable resource archive that is stylistically consistent with updated landing page
- Provide ongoing site development, maintenance and support, contingent on satisfactory completion of startup phase.
- Updated site live within 2-4 weeks
- Submit weekly progress updates to the Project Manager (PM)
- Respond to all communications from the PM in a timely fashion
- Responsive, interactive design process: quick turnaround on changes and edits
- Function effectively as part of the WaSH MEL team
- Be pro-active in completing tasks and seeking additional input from the larger team as needed
- Meet deadlines and produce high-quality work
- Provide ongoing maintenance and support of web portal, contingent on satisfactory completion of other responsibilities
Please forward any relevant references of your previous work.